In the world of manufacturing and production, quantity and quality always come into play. There is a common misconception that you can only choose one of these things, and it has affected the way that entrepreneurs think.
What if we told you that this is not always the case and that you can choose the two of them? With the correct knowledge in choosing the type of Chinese Manufacturing Process that you want, great results can be achieved. In this article, we will get you acquainted with each of these process types as we reveal their pros and cons to help you know which one is the best.
What are Manufacturing Process Types?
Manufacturing process types simply refer to a certain pattern or system that a factory adapts in making products or goods. These can differ in each company, but they usually fall into 5 types, and these are Recurring, Discrete, Job Shop, Batch, and Continuous. Any business owner needs to know these types since certain business types are better to be used at specific process types. Also, this will help in creating a good vision and direction, since you will know the best types that can work alongside your business.
The Five Common Types
Here are the 5 common manufacturing process types, their description, pros, cons, and where are they most suited for.
The recurring process is also coined as the repetitive process by different sources. These are factories that make use of a single pattern on all the goods that they do. Usually, manufacturers that follow this process typically only produce one or two specific items. Since they are not concerned with other products, it is expected that the methods they use in manufacturing their selected items are very optimized and efficient.
For example, a factory that only produces soap without other product variations is considered as a recurring process type. This is the type of factory that people are familiar with, thanks also to its widespread depiction in various media.
- Focused on one product. As said earlier, the recurring process type has its sole focus on only one product or goods. Thus, minimal errors can be observed in their deliverables. The machines and workforce of these types of companies are tailored to serve only one purpose and that is to deliver one specific product in a very efficient manner.
- No diversification. For business owners that want some variations in their catalog, the recurring process type will not be an appropriate factory. Negotiation with these manufacturers entails that they have fixed guidelines in the manufacturing process with little room for customization and versatility.
Perfect for: One-product businesses without much diversity or brands that only offer one specific item.
A discrete process type is a system wherein a factory has the freedom to change up the mode of production to accommodate urgent needs. They can change setups, frequency, production, and allocated time for products that have small differences from each other. Thus, this is a process type that is mainly concerned about the quality of production and not the speed of delivery.
- Customizable Options. The discrete type is perfect for businesses that have multiple products in their catalog. Unlike recurring where you can only choose to have one type, discrete has the freedom of having versatility since the setup and configuration of the factory can be modified according to your immediate needs.
- Time delays. As stated, the discrete type is not concerned about the time taken by the process, and it focuses more on the quality of the end-product. Thus, this is not suitable for businesses that needed instant deliveries to customers. One can expect longer waiting times when engaging with discrete-type factories.
Perfect for: Shops or businesses that do not need immediate giving of deliverables such as boutiques
A job shop is a processing type that fully utilizes production zones instead of assembly lines. Unlike recurring and discrete which makes large batches of goods in one go, Job shops are meant for a more personalized and custom experience since everything is made in smaller groups or batches. Usually, Job shops handle the workload for Made To Order products that are specific for any type of industry
Most advanced job shops make use of software to determine the specifications that are needed by clients. Through this platform, they will be able to gauge the time needed to produce such goods, as well as materials and initial quotes.
- Most customizable process. It does not matter whether you want lower or higher specs in your batch order; a job shop can always take care of it. This makes it a great process type candidate for those businesses that their own identity in the market.
- Lower production capacity. Since no assembly lines are involved in the processes, fewer objects or products can be generated per day. This makes it a bit difficult for goods that need to be bought in bulk.
Perfect for: Businesses that have their branding and specific status in the market
This type can also be considered as the child of both job shop and discrete. They produce bulks of customized products, combining the best features of the previous types. Usually, the assembly lines of a batch processing factory take care of the first specifications and are then cleared out. After the clearing, the next specification will be created, so that production of custom batch orders is continuous.
- Bulk and Custom at the same time. There is no need to choose between customizability and the number of goods that need to be produced. This makes it exceptionally amazing for those businesses that need large amounts of products in their catalog, but still desire to build a brand in the market.
- Slow production. Since many custom products are being produced, it will likely take more time to create. Bear in mind that batch processing requires both manual and automated processes through machine and workforce, and this makes it a bit taxing.
Perfect for: Growing brands that desire to produce more products without compromising customizability.
A type of factory that runs non-stop. However, this produces necessities such as liquids or minerals instead of ready-to-use products. It is to be noted that Continuous types are tailored more for raw materials that still need to be processed by another factory. This makes it a very fast type in terms of delivery since customizability is fully removed to accommodate for fast turnarounds.
- Instantaneous workflow. Continuous batches are full of assembly lines that do not require much human intervention. Thus, the products are created easily at a faster rate that is not present in other manufacturing processing types. This makes it great for those brands that are mainly concerned with basic needs.
- No customizability. Everything in a continuous process factory is fixed and there is little room for providing versatility. After all, speed is the priority, and adding more steps in the assembly line will drastically lessen overall efficiency.
Perfect for: Brands that sell raw products such as minerals and liquids.
Why is there a need to choose a perfect one?
If your business vision is not in line with your chosen factory processing type, it can be a real problem. Delays might be inevitable, and customizations may be limited, causing you to lose large amounts of potential profit. Thus, there is a need to sync up your business purpose to factory type for maximum gains.
Each business has its strength and weakness. Thus, choosing a proper production type can greatly help in offsetting what your business lacks. However, there is a need to be careful when reviewing a Chinese factory’s processing type since some of them are not honest during negotiations.
To get the most out of your Chinese factory, you can choose to have a fact-checking team to help you with the process. This group of people will help confirm the veracity of the information that you will receive, converting into greater profits in the long run.
What we do at Verifyfull
Verifyfull is a team that will be able to confirm any Chinese factory’s processing type so that you will know if they are a good match with your business. We collaborate with thousands of brands, companies, factories, exporters, and importers to provide them with correct and truthful data regarding good product sources.
All our reports are written with transparency and knowledge regarding the status of the Chinese industry. We will give information that is 100% honest and in line with what you need now. You can treat us as your own set of eagle eyes, prepared to scout and verify for you. This includes managerial hierarchy, history, past performance, and past deals of your chosen factory.
If you need any help regarding a Chinese company, do not hesitate to contact us. We will help you with fact and background checking. For the best information gathering team, choose Verifyfull.